Chocolate is often a request by a certain member of our house. It usually doesn’t matter the form, but points are gained if it is gooey and warm….and served with ice cream….and there is enough for seconds.
Sometimes, our cravings sync and we both crave chocolate. When this happens, there is no force in the world that can stop us from creating something amazing and chocolatey. This was the case the other night. She broke the ice with 3 powerful words,
“I want chocolate.”
I already had the itch to bake something and upon hearing that phrase, an unstoppable desire was born that would not be satisfied until we were both eating.
After 10 agonizingly long minutes in the oven, our wait and effort was rewarded:
We each ate four. With ice cream. And then had another.
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 10 Oreo’s chopped.
- Your favorite chocolate candy bar, chopped
- 1 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat butter and shortening with mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugars, beating until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- In another bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended.
- Add Oreo’s, candy bar, and chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Place 1 – 1½ inch balls of dough onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes. They will be very soft so allow to cool on baking sheets 10 minutes before you transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Warning: There are amazingly good. They are cookies made from cookies and candy bars. Eat at your own risk.