If you’re like many people, you live your life on-the-go. From work and kids to housework, cooking, and more, there’s much to be done on any given day. It’s not surprising that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that around 38.4 percent of adults fail to get the amount of sleep necessary to properly rejuvenate.
Whether you have an overwhelming schedule you’re trying to keep up with or just feel your energy levels aren’t as high as they should be, there are things that can be done to help increase these levels, and these three in particular can help you do just that.
1. Encourage Quality Sleep
The hours we spend resting peacefully between the sheets is of high importance. It’s during this time that the body is busy rejuvenating and preparing to allow you the energy you’ll need to face yet another day in the morning. However, all too many find themselves tossing and turning long into the night. There are a few tips to achieve better sleep including:
- Purchase cooling mattress toppers. Science has shown that the body temperature cools as we drift off to sleep, and these products can help you get there more quickly and efficiently. You can find some quality ones here.
- Eliminate distractions such as the television and your cell phone. Even minimal light can disrupt sleep, so consider pointing your illuminated alarm clock away from your face.
- Implement a wind-down time about one or two hours before bed to help the body adapt to your sleep schedule and prepare for it accordingly on a nightly basis. During this time, do something relaxing like meditating or reading a book.
2. Make Time for Reflection
Hustle and bustle is a part of life, and there certainly are a number of responsibilities that must be faced each day to ensure success. However, we all have to make time for ourselves. To ensure this, set aside no less than an hour block each day dedicated to doing something just for yourself. Whether you relax while taking a warm bath with a couple of candles lit or benefit more from meditation and activities such as Yoga, this can help you allow your body, mind, and spirit to recharge and reconnect to give you the advantage in both your personal and professional life.
3. Don’t Compromise On Nutrition
You are what you eat, and proper nutrition is crucial when it comes to proper energy levels. However, with convenience foods so readily available and time cut short due to busy lifestyles, it can be too easy to compromise on your nutritional intake.
There are a few tips to employ to ensure you get the vitamins and minerals you need at a price you can afford including:
- Shopping in the outermost areas of the grocery store as this is where the basic food items you need are located. These include fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy products, and lean meats. Try to avoid going down grocery store aisles as much as possible as this is where most heavily processed foods are typically located.
- Rather than focusing on three large meals, consider eating smaller snack-sized portions throughout the day.
- Take the time the night before work to prepare lunch for work or class the next day.